Saturday, November 3, 2012

Annual Sauerkraut Stomp!

Classic picture of my Pap getting cabbage for the 'kraut.
 
Late October brings the annual family sauerkraut stomping.  It all starts with finding the densest cabbage in the high country of Somerset County and my Pap and Dad's cousin, Joe, do the leg work.  This year they got 650 pounds.  My crock holds almost 50 pounds of cabbage.  I seriously have no idea what they do with the rest.



After doing some prep work for the cabbage it's ready for the shredding and then the stompin'.  Add some salt and that is pretty much it :)

Just a couple months and we're ready for some New Year's Day kraut
 
Aside from the fact this is by far the most delicious sauerkraut ever (seriously, its not even close,) the coolest thing is we have at least five generations following the same family recipe making sauerkraut.  From talking to my Pap, he made kraut with his father, who was a coal miner back in the days of the Great Depression.  Back then, preserving food for the cheap for months on end was more the necessity than having a New Year's Day pork roast feast like we use it now.  I find this pretty interesting to think about on different levels. Either way, its a tradition I hope to pass along and we'll be eating good and naturally healthy.
My Pap (Jack) and me back in 2010
 
 
My boy Jack continuing the tradition this year.  Take notes son!


No comments:

Post a Comment